Monday, June 18, 2007

How Much Sex is too Much? HNS

More from the Historical Novel Society

When I grow up and am a published author, I want to be on a Panel like “How Much Sex is Too Much?”

While attending the HNS’s second biennial conference in Albany, New York, June 8-10, 2007, I (and the assembled multitude) was treated to a pre-panel teaser, as it were. Diana Gabaldon (http://www.its.caltech.edu/~gatti/gabaldon/), Jade Lee-(http://www.jadeleeauthor.com/), C. C. Humphreys-(http://www.cchumphreys.com/, http://www.cchumphreys.com/contact.htm) and Lisa Jensen-(http://www.witchfromthesea.com/) read excerpts of love scenes as a reference for the Sunday morning workshop. While I am a HUGE fan of Dr. Gabaldon’s Outlander series, I was a virgin to the titillating talents and sensual skills of the other stellar authors. To be so utterly, publicly seduced, on the edge of my seat in anticipation and hope, or lmao with the erotic folly was pure literary rapture.

So, “How Much Sex is too Much?” In real life, there may be no such thing. At least in the fantasy of most healthy, consenting adults. Upon discovering the joys of sex, my protagonist Eloise Dahlquin wonders how anyone has the discipline to get out of bed at all. For the lucky few, only thirst and starvation (and evacuation) pull them from their union. Most of us relent to rise and resume work and chores enabling us at days end to return to our (fill in your own blank_____, ‘cozy’, ‘ravishing’, ‘insatiable’, ‘throbbing’) partners. Those of us with children have a built-in coitus interuptus program running; an endless infomercial on the virtues of birth control.

But in writing, the craft of storytelling, is it possible to have too much sex? If it is poorly written and clichéd, then absolutely. If it is gratuitous…save it for the ‘believe it or not’ mailbag. Blending great sex with riveting (yes, I like that word) page turning plot twists; exploring character development and emotions through the five senses, building tension, luring readers behind closed doors is a climax not easily achieved by all writers and shared by readers. Was it good for you?

Unlike the ‘real thing’ we authors do not want readers to light a cigarette or worse yet roll over and start snoring. What next, what next, what next? Romance writers follow a set formula, with building sexual contact as major plot points: The first kiss, heightened contact, interrupted sex, etc. until finally consummating the act itself. In most fiction, relationships, love and romance propel part of if not the entire plotline. How will this be resolved? What will be the repercussions? Who will suffer, who will gain?

Building sexual tension--written foreplay—is done in various, stimulating and evocative ways. For fine examples please check out the above mentioned authors’ work (I’m mopping my brow just remembering). Just because I fantasize about castle sex or cathedral sex, doesn’t mean readers don’t want and deserve a darn fine tale (pun intended), intrigue, mystery, suspense and deep, complex characters “seeking the cheese” (see earlier blog). What motivates characters? How do they relate to others? Striving for sex, or seeking to avoid it keep readers turning pages, waiting.

I love writing love making scenes. I like what it reveals about my characters. I want them to have some fun. Everything can’t be plague and pestilence, unless of course, it is violent sex as a power play. I doubt any of us like writing that stuff…but our heroes must overcome adversity. Few things rival sexual abuse for the sake of fiction writing. But I’m not discussing world changing, literary fiction. I’m keeping it light here.

So, how much is too much? The panel reached no definitive answer, because each book and each scene must be evaluated on its own heart pounding merits. But the audience certainly did not get enough, we were anxiously hoping for more oral sex--the literary kind.

And again, if you are not familiar with the authors, I provided their websites above.

Diana Gabaldon, Outlander series, Scots Highlanders and time travel

Jade Lee, Tigress series, exotic romance

C. C. Humphreys, Jack Absolute, 007 of the 1770’s

Lisa Jensen, Witch From the Sea, pirates and coming of age on the high seas

I’m keeping booksellers busy! And my librarians, bless them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coming from a romance background, I don't mind sex in historicals, but it irks me that writers(esp women) shy away from it for fear of their books being labeled "bodice rippers" by mainstream reviewers and readers. I'm going a bit off topic, but I find it ironic that female-driven fiction is ever popular, yet We(universal "we") seek male validation for Our novels. Case in point: the derision show to chick-lit by female lit authors desperate so for mainstream(male) approval, they were willing to sling mud at writers of chick-lit along with the mainstream/male critics.

IMO, let those bodices rip if that is where the story naturally goes.

Anne Beggs said...

Greetings:

Thank you so much for responding. It is so nice not to be alone in blog world!

You brought up an intereting topic about seeking male validation in writing. I love Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic books. So does my husband (I will have to do a blog on not judging a book by it cover. We do a lot of books on tape from the library, and they generally have a very generic red and white cover with the return card blocking the cover picture. I can't tell you how many times he has brought home a romance or chick-lit and loved it. But if he had seen the cover of the book he NEVER would have given it a chance.) Anyway, I have enjoyed some of Linda Howard's books; "Good in Bed" "Ya Ya sisterhood" and the "Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love" (are those Chick Lit?).

I hope to see women continue to embrace the "lit" categories sprouting up, they are fabulous. Mommy-Lit, Mid-Life Lit. I friend of mine has written Dys-lit about a dysfunctinonal family.

I write a lot of sex into my books because I like it. There's a lot of ripping, tearing, snorting and suckling going on. But I think the historic record shows that to be authentic for the times. As an unpublished author who has lost all objectivity about my own writing, I will be VERY receptive to editorial advice and suggestions.

It came up in the panel at the HNS that many men are afraid to write explicit sex scenes for fear of offending female readers (the majority of book buyers). Male authors do not wish to inflame or insult women readers. Women can get away with far more, it seems. I thought maybe men just didn't generally know how to write passionate love scenes. I'm not so well read, so I don't want to make an unfair generalization. But I haven't found many male authors to compare with Diana Gabaldon or Jean Auel for well written sex that women and men enjoy equally. I hope I write like that.

Anyway, thank you again for reading and responding! Happy Day!

Anne